Do You Have Unclaimed Money? Find it Now!


Find Your Unclaimed MoneyBillions of dollars go unclaimed every year from federal and state governments, financial institutions and companies no longer generating activity.  Everything from tax refunds, savings or checking accounts, stocks, uncashed dividends or payroll checks, traveler’s checks, trust distributions, unredeemed money orders or gift certificates (in some states), insurance payments or refunds and life insurance policies, annuities, certificates of deposit, customer overpayments, utility security deposits, mineral royalty payments and contents of safe deposit boxes.

What Happens if Your Health Insurance is through the Marketplace and Then Your Employer Offered You Health Insurance?

Review the Provisions of Obamacare Premium Tax Credit 

Serving as a subsidy for the cost of health insurance for lower-income individuals and families is one of the key provisions of Obamacare is the premium tax credit (PTC).  Although the credit is determined at the end of the year based upon income, taxpayers are allowed to estimate their income and receive the credit in advance, thereby reducing their premium costs.

Married to a Non-U.S. Citizen? Important Tax Principles to Know

Special Tax Filing Issues

With modern transportation the world continues to shrink, and it is increasingly common for a U.S. citizen to marry someone from another country who is not a U.S. citizen.  If this describes your marital circumstances, there are some special tax filing issues you will have to deal with.  Based on your particular situation, the filing issues could be very complicated or straightforward.  But in either case, someone knowledgeable with non-U.S. citizen issues should complete the preparation of your return. 

Procrastination Can Lead to Unneeded Taxes & Penalties

If you are like so many people that tend to wait until tax-filing season to worry about your taxes, there’s a chance that you will be missing out on opportunities to reduce your tax and avoid certain penalties.

Events That Create Tax Problems & Opportunities 

The following are some events that can affect your tax return and you may need to take steps now to mitigate their impact and avoid unpleasant surprises after it is too late to address them.

Thinking About Solar Installation?

Information Regarding Solar Tax Credit


If you’re thinking about solar installation, keep in mind that the federal government has a 30% tax credit for the cost of a qualified solar installation (some states also have solar credits or other incentives).  However, the federal credit is non-refundable and can only be used to offset your current tax liability, and any excess carries over to future years as long as the credit still applies in future years.  As of now, the credit is allowed through 2021.  It’s important to know that you may not get all the credit in the first year as you might have been led to believe or assumed based upon some of the TV ads for home solar power.

Facts About Traditional IRAs & Roth IRAs

Pitfall to Back-Door IRAs

If you are saving for retirement, many individuals favor Roth IRAs over traditional IRAs because the former allows for both accumulation and post-retirement distributions to be tax-free.  In comparison, contributions to traditional IRAs may be deductible, earnings are tax-deferred and distributions are generally taxable.  Anyone who is under age 70.5 and who has compensation can make a contribution to a traditional IRA (although the deduction may be limited).

Did You Forget To Include Something On Your Tax Return?

File An Amended Tax Return 

Did you filed your 2015 tax return and forgot to include some income or failed to claim a deduction or credit?  Good news, it is not too late!

An amended return can be filed to correct an already filed tax return. Failing to report an item of income may generate an IRS inquiry, although it may take year or more after the original return was filed, but unfortunately, interest and penalties will have already built up. That’s why it’s a good idea to file an amended return as soon as possible to avoid the headache of IRS correspondence and to minimize the interest and penalties on any additional tax you might owe.

Did You Receive a Large Tax Refund or Did You Owe Money?

You Might Need to Adjust Your W-4

If you got money back, keep in mind that you are simply receiving your own money that was over-withheld by your employer in the first place.  A better solution would be to bank the money and have access to it for the entire year instead of giving the US Government an interest-free loan.

Are You Caring for a Family Member Who is Disabled?

Are You Receiving a Medicaid Waiver Payment?  Read This Important Information!

In order to promote home care and reduce the government’s institutional care expenses, Medicaid (through state agencies) pays home caregivers a small wage (usually reported on Form W-2 but sometimes on Form 1099-MISC) referred to as a Medicaid waiver payment to care for an individual in the care provider’s home.

Many taxpayers prefer to care for ill or disabled family members in their homes as opposed to placing them in nursing homes, however, this can be incredibly expensive, time-consuming, and exhausting. The government also recognizes home care as a means of reducing the government’s costs in terms of caring for individuals who otherwise would be institutionalized (because they require the type of care that is normally provided in a hospital, nursing facility, or intermediate care facility).