A Virtual CFO Can Help Your Business Thrive

The Power of a Virtual CFO (vCFO)

On a basic level, a virtual CFO (or vCFO for short) is exactly what it sounds like. This is someone who performs all of the services normally associated with a chief financial officer, only in a third-party capacity. Instead of going to the trouble (and expense) of hiring, training and bringing someone with these qualifications into your organization, you’re getting access to someone who can handle all of this remotely on a schedule that works best for all involved.

How Income is Taxed on Vacation Home Rentals

If you have a second home in a resort area, or if you have been considering acquiring a second home or vacation home, you may have questions about how rental income is taxed for a part-time vacation-home rental.  The applicable rental rules include some interesting twists that you should know about before you begin renting.  Although some individuals prefer to never rent out their homes, others find such rentals to be a helpful way of covering the cost of the home. For a home that is rented out part time, one of three rules must be considered, based on the length of the rental: 

Don’t Be a Victim of Cybercrooks

It’s that time of the year – the season for preparing tax returns is about to begin.  Unfortunately, it is also the season for scammers who are out to steal your identity, swindle you out of your money and even file tax returns in your name. All of this can ruin your credit rating, cause financial havoc and cost you hours upon hours of time trying to straighten out the messes caused by cybercrooks.

1099-MISC Filing Date Is Just Around the Corner

If you engage the services of an individual (independent contractor) in your business, other than one who meets the definition of an employee, and you pay him or her $600 or more for the calendar year, then you are required to issue that person a Form 1099-MISC to avoid penalties and the prospect of losing the deduction for his or her labor and expenses in an audit.  Payments to independent contractors are referred to as non-employee compensation (NEC).

2019 Standard Mileage Rates Announced

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) computes standard mileage rates for business, medical and moving each year, based on a number of factors, to determine the standard mileage rates for the following year.

As it does annually around the end of the year, the IRS has announced the 2019 optional standard mileage rates. Thus, beginning on Jan. 1, 2019, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (or a van, pickup or panel truck) are:

10 Ways to Improve Profits in the Coming Year

As a small business owner, this is the time to take a closer look at your profit and loss sheets to determine how you can make the most out of this current economy.  In the U.S., the economy is thriving and expected to grow over the next few months.  Businesses are expanding.  The Federal Reserve has inched up interest rates, creating investment opportunities, and lenders are offering small business loans.  All of this points to a promising outlook for the coming months.

Wonder What a Tax Deduction Is Worth?

Because individuals are always looking for tax deductions that can reduce their tax liability it’s important to know what the actual tax benefit is derived from a tax deduction.  There is no straightforward answer because some deductions are above the line, others must be itemized, some must exceed a threshold amount before being deductible, and certain ones are not deductible for alternative minimum tax purposes, while business deductions can offset both income and self-employment tax.  In other words, there are many factors to consider, and the tax benefits differ for each individual, depending on his or her particular situation and tax bracket.